The University of Michigan Gilbert & Sullivan Society (UMGASS) was founded in 1947 and is the oldest student-run society nationwide dedicated to performing the operettas of Sir William Gilbert and Sir Arthur Sullivan.
Each year UMGASS brings together students and community members for two fun, fully staged productions of Gilbert & Sullivan operettas at the Lydia Mendelssohn Theatre. UMGASS also produces several outreach productions annually.
We’re proud to be a great place for future performing arts professionals as well as a creative outlet for students, professors, and community members of all ages looking to blow off steam and have a great time participating in high-quality productions.
Email us for media inquiries, questions, or to direct/design a future show: firstname.lastname@example.org.
University of Michigan Gilbert and Sullivan Society
911 North University
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1265
For phone inquiries: 734-647-8436
PRESIDENT: David Andrews
VICE PRESIDENT: Katrina Fasulo
TREASURER: Aurora Haziri
SECRETARY: Lisa Gavan
COMPANY PROMOTER: Natan Zamansky
TICKET MANAGER: Christina Certo
PROGRAM EDITOR: Lawrence Bryk
Unfilled board positions will be appointed by the new board. If you are interested in a position, for the following academic year, please contact us for more information.
Lydia Mendelssohn Theatre is located in the rear of the Michigan League Building on the corner of N. University and Fletcher St. Tickets will be sold at the door. The Mendelssohn Box Office opens one hour before each performance. Patrons will be allowed into the theater 30 minutes before curtain. Student IDs will be checked at the door.
Parking in downtown Ann Arbor can be difficult and take longer than expected, so please allow plenty of time to park. Parking is available in the following structures:
- Liberty Square Entrance off Washington between State Street and Division; $3 after 3 pm, free on Sunday.
- Maynard Street Entrances off Maynard Street and Thompson between William and Liberty; $.80/hr, free on Sunday.
- Fletcher Street (Power Center structure) Entrance off Fletcher Street at Washington; $5 Event parking begins 2 hours before the event.
- Palmer Drive $1.10/hour Accessible to University of Michigan blue and gold permit holders with an AVI device.
- Thayer Street Entrance off Thayer Street between Washington and North University Avenue. $5 Event parking begins 2 hours before the event.