May 2nd & 4th 6-9pm|
Auditions for the Pilot Project
Time & Location
May 2nd & 4th 6-9pm
Ann Arbor, 1201 Kipke Dr, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
About the Event
Are you no longer the right type for your dream soprano diva role? Have you passed the age range for that juicy tenor lead? Do you think yourself too callow for that iconic comic character part?
Well, think again!
The University of Michigan Gilbert &Sullivan Society (UMGASS) is holding auditions for The Pilot Project, or Return to Duty, on Tuesday, May 2 nd and Thursday, May 4 th , from 6:00 – 9:00 pm, at the Student Theater Arts Complex (STAC), 1201 Kipke Drive, Ann Arbor (near the U-M stadium). This adapted libretto is designed as a sequel to The Pirates of Penzance, set 44 years after the original, using Sullivan’s original score. It will be presented concert style on June 9 th and June 10 th at the Lydia Mendelssohn Theatre in the Michigan League building in Ann Arbor.
All principal and chorus roles from Pirates have equivalents (by voice part) in The Pilot Project, however some characters are 44 years older than in the original (e.g., Frederic is now 65, rather than 21), and some are younger descendants of the original roles (see the Character Descriptions at the end of this posting).
Cast members will be selected from the audition pool with no pre-casting. Affiliation with the University of Michigan is not required.
To sign up for an audition time, and/or to receive audition forms in advance, please contact the UMGASS Executive Board at email@example.com.
The Pilot Project will be directed by David Andrews, who in December 2022 directed the Society’s 75 th anniversary production of The Pirates of Penzance – his 10 th time in the director’s chair for UMGASS. Music Director for this production will be Nada Radakovich, who recently directed the Society’s 2022 production of The C.E.O., a modern adaptation of Gilbert & Sullivan’s The Mikado. Ms. Radakovich is a popular choir director and in-demand vocal coach in Genesee County.
- Prepare ~32-64 bars of a selection from musical theater, comic opera, or opera (in English), and provide a legible copy for the accompanist.
- Be prepared to read from the libretto if you are interested in a speaking role.
- There will be no dance audition for this concert style show.
- Please contact the UMGASS Board at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would prefer to submit a recorded video audition by Wednesday, May 3 rd , 2023.
- Masks may be required at auditions and rehearsals, depending on the evolving public health situation.
- Current plans call for all performances to be unmasked.
- Walk-ins are welcome in the first two hours of the audition period each night.
- Please wear a mask in the common areas of the audition locale as a courtesy to other performers. Masks will be available on-site.
Rehearsal and production dates:
- The first rehearsal is scheduled for Sunday, May 7 th . Scripts will be available at this rehearsal or at STAC during the following week, for those not able to attend on 5/7.
- Music rehearsals will be held two days per week for the full ensemble at STAC. Principals may be called for additional dialogue or music rehearsals as necessary.
- Production dates are June 9 – 10, 2023, at the Lydia Mendelssohn Theatre in the Michigan League, in concert-style, accompanied by piano.
Answers to questions regarding the production and the audition process, as well as a PDF copy of the libretto, are available at email@example.com.